Friday, February 5, 2010

Jocie's 3 Year Photos

There are those times in life when you get to wear two hats and you get to be proud of both of them: father and photographer. This is one of those moments for me. After searching for and working towards developing a style, I feel confident in my abilities and that I'm able to show a distinct and developed style in my pictures.

This past weekends photo session for Jocie was a perfect example of this is several ways. First, I had a distinguished studio style that is easy for me to replicate and quick to setup. Second, JL and I have finally figured out how to get our subjects to pose the way we want to them to to get these great shots (the key being time and learning to do a lot of things in a very VERY short period of it).

I've been excited to post these shots here and to share them because I am so very proud of how well they have turned out.

The whole session lasted less than 7 minutes and in that time we got about a dozen good poses that were very usable in the end. This is the perfect length of time for any child in Jocie's age range and it works out perfectly for them: they're happy and excited and you're happy and excited seeing what you're getting for results.

The lighting setup here is rather advanced. 6 strobes total: 2 large soft boxes on either side of the subject, one smaller "hair" softbox suspended above the subject, a small key umbrella light behind the photographer and two large umbrella strobes behind the subject to light the backdrop. I was still waiting on my roll of white vinyl to arrive when we did this photoshoot (it's here now... a tad too late though), so we used a white fabric sheet, complete with squares and lines from being folded. This took some work in PP afterwards to remove the lines.

In the end, the proof is in the pudding, and I really like how these turned out.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

jp


2 comments:

Mimi said...

Atta-Boy for you,Jay!!!

VERY dramatic photos of a perfect subject that look easy as cake to execute... until one reads the lighting setup details!

Mum/Mimi is very proud and pleased being mother to the father and photographer, and grandmother to the subject.

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

This is truly amazing how wonderful a photographer you are. You always seem to really capture the kids in every great moment they have. Jocie however is a great subject to photograph. You seem to always catch her wonderful expressions. Love the dress and the bow. She is just adorable. Thank you again so much.