Friday, September 27, 2013

Jocie's Tale #2

This morning, Jenny and Joey had an 8am meeting at school, so, I again got the joy of dropping the kids off at school.


Jessamyn helps me usher them into the car so that we can jump into the early-morning traffic gridlock that plagues elementary schools everywhere.


As we inch forward, I see through my review mirror that I can see two heads (Julie and Jess) and one pair of shoes (Jocie's).

She's laying face-down on my back seat with her head hanging down into the footwell and her feet up top on the headrest.

She doesn't seem to be sobbing, so, I figure this is just another one of her many life-inspired yoga poses and do nothing more than giggle.

I get Jess and Julie out in the car-loop, but no Jocie. On inquiry, she points out that she only has one shoe on since she didn't have time to get the other one on as Jess was "hurrying" her too quickly.

Ok, return trip #1.

Get shoes.

+15 minutes now (takes a while to get out of the traffic jam too) and we're back at a now empty traffic loop.

I go to get Jocie out of the car and she now says: "I can't go to school because I don't have a snack."

"Ok, don't worry about it. Either mom or I will grab one and bring it to you later."

"No, that will never work because you don't know what I feel like today."

"Well, can you tell me what you want."

"No, I have to stand in front of the snacks and see which ones talk to me and want me to eat them."

Ok, return trip #2: (now +25 minutes)

Snack in hand, ready to go:

"You forgot to get me a water to drink."

"Let me guess, you're not going to let me drop you off and go get it and bring it back to you."

"Yup"

Ok, return trip #3: (now +40 minutes)

At least this time I remember to grab her jacket AND her water.

A happy Jocie jumps out of the truck, give me a hug, and dashes off into school just in time for Jenny to get into my truck so we can head off to our next event of the day.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Wow! Ater all Dad, what's a smile worth?????

A lot, I suspect.