Thursday, January 8, 2009

The phrases of Jocie

Sandwiched between the volumes of books that make up the story of our life are the many growing moments filled with well phrased expressions from our almost two year old daughter Jocie.  Describing her as having "blossomed" just doesn't seem to really define the changes that have taken place with her.

The wonder on my part started months back when JL mentioned something about a response to a question she asked Jocie earlier that day and the little child's answer nearly bowled her over.  Needing my own independent verification, I requested a similar inquiry to her: "Jocie?  Where are your blankies?" 

The response nearly swelled my heart beyond it's capabilities: "I dunno..." she replied in an upward pitching melody and both of her arms lifted from her sides creating a "w" like look as she tilted her head and looked around for them.

The awe increased nights later when I put her to bed and her a repeating phrase being yelled towards the door... over and over again: "I luv you... I luv you... I luv you..."  

We've since turned this into a nightly game as we battle back and forth with me behind her door as we lob 'I luv you' phrases back and forth in rapid fire succession.  

The communication abilities that I once assumed to be just babble have finally been given intellectual credence in my own translations of her and I've unwrapped what had been gibberish to find a fully functional conversationalist hiding right there in my daughter.

"Heer Go Dada" she'll say as she hands me everything she can categorize and being mine even if it is sitting right where I intentionally placed it: here comes my phone, my pager, my drink glass, the remote to the tv, a book, my camera, the phone I just put back on the table because of the growing pile in my lap... you get the picture.

Ask her for a kiss and a hug and you'll immediately be rewarded with a raised eyebrow'd very serious expression on her face child that pecks a kiss on your lips and the returns to her previous duties.  

Unphased, unhindered, unabashedly unfearful she tromps through each day with tank like conviction towards her own progress.

She cleans up on her own with repeated consistency.  She will refuse to leave the bathtub until all of the toys she AND her siblings have been playing with have been put away exactly where they belong.

She'll even try to help reorganize her clothing drawers... usually leaving them an entire mess, but you'll understand that she was trying if you ask her.

Correct her mistakes and you'll feel like the smallest person as she drops to the floor and immediately starts crying.  She is very sensitive towards being let know she was doing something wrong and most of the time she'll want immediate comforting in the form of a big long hug.

The other morning, JL was out running a few errands and I was spending time with Joey and Jocie.  She hunted me out down in the play room, came and grabbed my hand and said "Cuddle Dada?  Cuddle?" she dragged me down to our bedroom and pulled back the covers before scampering up into them all the while holding my hand.  She indicated that I was to get right next to her and help her watch the "Backyardagains".    I was rewarded with this moment for a good twenty minutes before Jess and JL came home.

At times, we'll find her off in her room studying books or singing the alphabet to herself (thanks too Brooke and our own diligent efforts, she's very well versed in the numbers and the alphabet... and she's not even two yet).  She will never turn down an opportunity to read and will often force us as parents to read to her (well, maybe not force... I love every moment of it).  One morning after a particularly long night of handling escalated issues from work, I was grabbing a few winks on the playroom sofa while the other kids vegged to the tv.  But, not Jocie... she proceeded to bring me alphabet books 'X', 'G', 'J', 'Z', and 'Q' to read to her.  Every time I closed my eyes, another letter book got dropped on my head followed by her climbing into my lap, pulling the covers up around us and her saying "Book pease, book Dada."

Again... these are the times I wish I could hold indefinitely.

jp





5 comments:

Mimi said...

Precocious she definitely is, that Jocie. She has mouthfulls of words that sound like jibberish as she learns to speak "English". I still cannot understand when she says "caterpillar" and points to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", but I know from context what she is saying.

She is loving, happy, full of words, and full of song. Alphabet and numbers as well. What a delight to be part of her growing up!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

amazing how much Jocie has changed in a year. I see a lot of Mimi in her expressions. Jocie has always seemed like she has so much in her mind and will express her feelings and thought with no problems. Maybe she is like Jenny was once she started talking she never stopped. Love Nana:)

Mimi said...

You are correct, Lola,...at least that's what I think....Jocie has a lot of Mimi in her expressions.

Let me proudly boast by saying that Jocie is the biggest ego trip I have ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go, Jocie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubbie said...

I don't know guys, but I think all the kids have been amazing talkers....hmmmm, wonder where that comes from? LOL

Mimi said...

Yeh, Bubbie....I agree with you!