Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A couple notes

Note #1:

Our youngest daughter has been stricken with an ailment that plagued her older two siblings in the weeks prior that manifests itself as a very high fever with an unending flow from a runny nose.

Feeling like holding a twenty pound nugget from the sun, our littlest angel up being a cute bed partner for the past few nights as she occupied a position that seems to be a regular role for our eldest daughter.

In reviewing our frustrations over her inability to sleep solo and in her own bed in a perfectly good bedroom filled with an excessive amount of stuffed animals and play things that regularly find her whimsical fancies, I am remiss about an altogether interesting phenomenon.

As children, we often find ourselves finding comfort in the resting places of our parents. Either from fear, illness, or just bad habit, our children seem to creep in like water through the roof of a century’s old ill-maintained barn. And as parents of those children, our role is to routinely push them back into their beds, alone and isolated, yet, is this not in stark contrast to the way we ourselves spend our lives?

Are we not encouraged and pushed towards a life-long relationship with a partner in marriage that will result in us sharing this location for an eternity?

It seems to me to be a harsh inconsistency to encourage now what we will so much desire later. Yeah, I know about the teenage years, and I am quite sure I’ll regret this line of thinking later, but it just seems to be so contrary to mainstream parenting that I felt the need to state it here.
Personally, I seem to enjoy the company of either of my daughters, but don't tell my wife that....

:)

Note #2:

Another note to make came in a statement that caught me off guard by my wife the other night when discussing the merits and desirability of the female reproductive system’s monthly cycle. I had stated that I doubted that any woman had ever really thought of it as a blessing, aside from the obvious need for it regarding child creation. My wife countered with “actually, most women between the ages of 18 and 24 welcome it every month.”

I laughed and admitted that I could indeed see the benefit of it.

jp

No comments: