Thursday, February 21, 2008

The vanishing moon magic trick

Centuries ago, confidence trickster’s knowledgeable about the celestial events (often by almanac) would con lay persons into believing they possessed any number of magic abilities such as being able to see the future or that they could control the Sun or the Moon in the hopes of getting either money or power.

Last night, we were audience to one of these celestial events, as the moon was eclipsed by the earth which cast its massive shadow across the distant body for a short period.

Though I couldn’t convince our children that I can control the moon, as they were already asleep, I was able to capture some beautiful shots with my camera before heading off to sleep.

jp

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Awesome shots, Jay!!!!

Grandma and I watched the eclipse as well, here in Bradenton...in our bare feet and bathrobes!!!! And then I set the tide clock to "high" at the high tide on the first day of the full moon.

Joanne said...

Impressive - please share how you did this?! I totally forgot about the eclipse, until my step sons came walking in at almost 10:30pm... I ran out my back door - grabbed my camera, my not so trusty tripod, and tried to figure out how to take a photo in the night - but could not get it! I was cold, mad, and frustrated at my lack of knowledge with how to work the camera in such an amazing moment. I did treasure the fantastic sky at that moment though. How big of a zoom do you have - wow?!? impressive again!!! :)