Monday, February 4, 2008

Quit #47

"I quit."

"No, you need to submit your status reports, I need you to update the members of the project about your recomendataions, and oh yeah, I need you to handle that seven hour meeting on Saturday."

"No, I don't think you understand, I'm serious, I quit."

"Well, I don't have time to deal with this right now, I just need you to get these things done. I'm too busy to deal with you at the moment."

"I really don't care. You've taken me away from my family, my life, I can't even take a trip without someone calling me about something urgent that they really don't care what else I'm doing but they want me to solve their problems for them. I'm sick of this. I sick of you. I don't want this job. I quit."

"Oh, that reminds me, you need to remember to keep the hours you work on projects for this department down to a more reasonable number than what you've been submitting. I don't have enough money to pay you for over time in our budget, so keep it lower than you have been. If you need to go over, let's find some other projects you can bill to. Thanks for reminding me about that."

"What? Are you not hearing me? Can you not care about the fact that I'm so unhappy I'd rather quit than try and work this out? I'm out the door! I'm history! I can't stand being here! I'm a ghost! I quit!"

"I can understand you're frustrated, but I've got seven other employees that are whining just as much as you are about the job. I don't have the time to deal with your problems about the job I hired you for. You need to continue to do the work. I don't have time to replace you. I don't have time to talk to you. I don't have time for you. I just want you to do what I've assigned you and do it how I want you to. Don't make me get mad at you again for not performing up to my standards."

"You can't honestly think I believe any of that crap, do you? Could you push the company line any harder? What are they teaching you in your management classes you spend so much time and company money on? Is this the 'management by principles' techniques at work? I need some focus on me. I need some of your attention. I need to know you actually care that I'm a human being and not just some corporate number maker assigned to you. I don't care about your budget spreadsheets or how you make the bean counters happy at year's end. I care about my family. I care about me. I care about how I do the work given to me. I want to know you care about all of this."

"Oh sure, yeah, you know I do about all of that. It's a nice place to work. I've got great assets and good employees and all that stuff that I'm supposed to be saying to you. Now, I've wasted too much of my precious time on dealing with your insubordination. I've got another more important meeting to attend."

"Yeah... sure... thanks... I guess... I'll quit another day."

2 comments:

Joanne said...

OH MY - I gasped as I read... LOVED it! Wanted to say the same things - oh my oh my! I'm playing the lottery tonite! If I win... well, I'm quitting for sure!!!

Your posts are wonderful - thanx for sharing your words and amazing pics too!

Hoping your family does come up to Gloucester this summer, we can vent about work and take pictures that make us smile!

CHEERS!

Mimi said...

Wow!!!!!!!! Says Mom; what can I say? Gulp!