Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Big Special"

Arriving home last night after work, I was greeted in our customary fashion by Jessamyn and Joey at the front door. Both were wearing their pajamas, which was odd since it was only a little after five o’clock.

Sensing my confusion, Jessamyn offerend the explanation that she had an accident earlier and that Brooke had changed her into her nighttime outfit early.

“I had an accident and Brooke changed me so now I’m ready for bed but I’m still hungry for dinner.”

She also elaborated that “Brooke cleaned me up and did a Big Special!”

This was a new phrase to me from Jessamyn. While she had spoken the expression she had also gestured with her hands in a big arc-like wave with both arms above her head trying to explain the procedure.

“What is a ‘Big Special’?” in inquired.

“It’s like this” and she again mimicked the same arm based movement again.

Confused, I asked Brooke what a “Big Special” was?

She was confused, but mentioned that she had used two wipes to clean Jessamyn up and that Jess had been very curious about why the larger than average quantity of cleaning material had been required.

Jessamyn and Joey continued to tell me all about their day yesterday: they had gone for a big long bike ride, gone to the park, gone shopping played with friends from around the neighborhood, and Joey played with his new Lego’s.

Wow, I was amazed at just how much these two had done and also now understood why they were both very tired.

jp

No comments: