Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Painting

We recently embarked on a rather massive project to re-paint a majority of our house (save the kids bedrooms and the kitchen). After a trip to the Home Depot, we returned with fourteen gallons of various colors and an army of painting supplies.

Jenny describes the color choices as “Mediterranean ”, but I personally feel the colors have more of a Carribean or Tropical feel to them as they remind me of a wonderful little place in the Bahamas named “Compas Point.”

Our previous paint jobs had utilized more tape than what surrounded the eighteen missing minutes of tape of Nixon during the Watergate scandal, so this time we spent some more time discussing other options to reduce tapage and effort.

In our haste to progress the project towards completion, I offered to attempt a technique that I had hoped would be inherited from my Uncle Frank in the form of “free handed” edging and cutting using only a paint brush. My uncle has been painting for longer than I’ve been alive, so his technique has been honed over many attempts, yet, for some reason, I had hoped that it would just grab this ability from some sort of ethereal osmosis, but in application I think I’m learning that practice is really required to perfect it.

My lines look nothing like the lines I’ve seen in his previous applications, which show as an unfaltering line at crevices, windows, and door frames as compared to the earthquake-like shake plagued lineage prominent in my artistry.

“Good from afar, but far from good” seems an apt statement to make regarding the work in my mind, but in all actuality, I think it is better than that.

We are always our own harshest judges.

To date, we have completed only our bedroom, but we weigh lofty goals of completion of another room by week’s end, in time for Joey’s birthday party.

jp

No comments: