Friday, March 14, 2008

Today, Tomorrow, and Forever

What would you do if you knew today was your last day to live?

There would be no more tomorrow. These last few hours are all that you have left with family, friends, dreams, and your life.

· Would you stay sitting at your computer ‘till the late night hours helping the company you work for improve its bottom line?
· Would you run out screaming into the streets in pure panic?
· Would you fall into a fetal ball crumbling under the humbling emotions of a terminal nature?
· Would you live out some fantasy you’ve never had the courage to overcome?

This is a tough question to ask, but it is one that I try to ask myself every day.

We never know what our last moment will be on this planet, at least not at this age, and this mantra helps keep my focus towards the things that really matter.

· Is it really worth me getting caught up with the fact that the kids are going to bed later than they probably should justbecause I’m spending time reading books and playing games with them?
· Should I really be upset that I’m letting a deadline slip at the office so I can come home on time to be with my wife and children?
· Shouldn't being mad at Jocie for unrolling yet another toilet paper roll on the floor be less important than realizing the fun she’s just had doing it and enjoying the moment of bliss she’s having?

The interactions we create with other life paths should be one of our most important goals in thinking about living our lifes.

What role should material possesions play in our lives?

I love my toys… I really do… they make me happy, that much is true, but the truth is you can’t take these things with you when you “go.”

This is true, but one other aspect to consider is how these material possessions help us to create and remember events and people that have touched our lives: pictures, movies, music, buildings, travel, etc (you get the picture).

It's not what you have that matters, it's what you do with it that really counts.

In a recent segment on NPR, an author released a book on the geography of happiness. This was an interesting segment that pointed out that the US is not a very happy place to live, and that even small underdeveloped nations can experience greater amounts of joy by just living out their lives to the fullest rather than getting caught up in money and success.

One of the other points the author makes is that to experience life-long joy, one of the things we need to do is to spend at least fifteen minutes a day thinking about death.

Wierd, huh?

What a revelation this was to hear and to put into practice in our own lives.

Thinking about death and how much we need to pack in the meaningful things between the bookends that surround our existence has taught me about what matters most.

It has taught me that I need to make memories with my kids.

Make joy for my wife.

If I die tomorrow, what will define my immortality?

Even though we may be gone, what imprint do we leave in the memories and impressions of those we leave behind?

In a controversial discussion about the one single person who had the greatest impact on the 20th century, the name of Adolf Hitler kept coming to the front of the list. While at first I was appalled at just the thought of this horrible man getting any form of credit after the horrors he brought on mankind, but after further reflection, I realized that although his actions were atrocious, he may have had the greatest impact on life in the past hundred years.

This is not the history I’d like to create for myself, but, I use it as an example about making an impact.

I would really like to have an impact on people and the lives I’ve touched, and in a good way.

So, ask yourself these questions each day. Try to live life to its fullest. Don’t sweat the small stuff (Joanne… this means you!!!) and live today in the image you’d like to remember yourself as in death or in late life.

jp

2 comments:

Joanne said...

wow... pretty deep :) death scares the bejesus out of me! :( I can not even begin to think about it, but I do like to live life to its fullest - to make a difference each day somehow, someway. one of my things is to just be happy - to smile at strangers, offer a helping hand. Bring a smile to someone who needs it, and change their day.

I do have a hard time worrying about the 'small' stuff (LOL) loved you putting my name there, made me realize it is one of my 'issues'. Anyway, very very true all you said, and very well put again! We've got a lot going on, but it is nothing in compared to what others do not have. So thank you - for making me laugh, smile & realize I need to stop sweating & buy better deodarant! ;o) (made you laugh now)

I have fallen so behind on my blog, but do LOVE that you keep up with yours and capture wonderful memories and fantastic pics!

:)

Mimi said...

Your mother would be heartbroken for the rest of her life, should you die tomorrow, or today. NOTHING would replace the knowing you are within a phone call, email, or physical visit...and the executing thereof.

Along the lines of what would you do today if you knew you were to die tomorrow I say I'd choose to be with you at all costs. Another motive that comes to my mind is Clark Shutte's camp question...what did you learn today and who did you help? If I can learn something new from each day, and help someone each day, then I am pleased with my existence. Not as monumental as Adolph Hitler, but hopefully I've made the world a better place for my having been in it. Unlike Hitler, to be sure.

Gosh, who knows the answers? If we knew them, we wouldn't be here in human form. Human is for learning. I think.