Monday, April 7, 2008

Jessamyn’s Thoughtfulness

Several days ago, while playing in the back yard with the rest of the neighbors (we have a sort of community park in the green space that exists in the from the combination of our immediate neighbors back yards and the kids rule this realm as their play area) a neighbor friend, Abby, gave Jessamyn a beautiful Cinderella shawl fit for a princess as a gift of friendship.

Jess loved it instantly and has worn it non-stop indoors and out for the past three days.

After returning home from Ann Arbor yesterday afternoon (a visit to Aunt Jamie’s for their house warming party), Jess informed me that she wanted to see Abby.

“Why?”

“Because, I made this thank you note I want to give to her for my Cinderella and I need to go and see her give it to her.”

I was amazed at her very thoughtful response to the gift, this really is a great little girl, and told her that we could go over right away.

“Ok, you wait right here, I need to go get my purse.”

And so she ran back to her room and picked up her pink purse and zipped the note inside.

Finding Abby in the back yard, Jessamyn immediately told her that she had something a to give her.

“It’s a thank you note because of the Cinderella.”

Now, the note was just a piece of pink “Hello Kitty” note paper with what appear to be random scribbles made with various colors of pens from the kids art area. Jess has been writing things on these pieces of paper and tearing them to give to people as “tickets”, “invitations to the ball”, “phone numbers”, and just plain gifts for last couple weeks.

With this particular note she was very admit that the scribbles on it said:

“Abby,

Thank you very much for my Cinderella.
I love it very much.

Love Jessamyn”

As a parent, I’m floored at her grasp of social behavior at only three years of age. It’s one thing to say “thank you for giving me something” just after you've ripped open a present, but entirely another to realize that a follow-up card or letter is a more formal and appropriate response for something that you are truly grateful for.

Now, I’m wondering when I’ll start getting some “thank you” letters from her just for being her daddy?

Maybe I should count my blessing and appreciate the hugs and kisses that she freely gives... I’m sure these days are dated and too soon will be over.

jp

2 comments:

Bubbie said...

that is just the cutest!!!!! What a dollface.
xoxoxo
Diane

Mimi said...

I suspect Jess picked up the concept of writing a thank you note by osmosis...from watching her mother write endless thank you notes. I still enjoy glancing at Joey's birthday thank you note, wherein Joey hand wrote our names and his while his mother, Jenny, wrote the body. That's a very special note I will keep all my years.

I'm oh so proud of all of you, my children and grandchildren. You're a fabulous family!!!!!