Monday, April 7, 2008

The Joanne Effect

Friday night, I arrive home from work to be accosted by my two eldest children just after walking through the front door (a normal event in our household), but instead of telling me how much they love me and want me to come play with them, I’m told that I need to come help them build some “ballerina boxes.”

I’ve no idea what in the world they are talking about, but hey, that too is a normal occurrence in my house.

In their playroom, I find Jenny sitting on the futon with a wry little smile on her face.

“What in the world is going on with these two ”I ask and what is a Ballerina Box?”

“Did you happen to read Joanne’s Blog today?”

Joanne is a sort of mutual friend from Jenny’s chat site that I shanghaied into being my friend too after learning of her passions for photography.

As I had not yet seen this video that created this ruckus, Jenny sat me down to watch it (her blog is linked from here on the left hand side of this page). The short video is of her daughter and what she thought was going to be her Halloween costume: a box with a hole in the bottom so that she can wear it around her waist (the view reminded me of old black and white movies where someone lost their clothes and is forced to wear a barrel).

I’m again prompted to help craft a similar costume for each of my children.

Jessamyn has been coloring pages of paper for her box (something her mother suggested to fill the gap of time before I came home) and is now insisting that I glue them to the sides of her box before I do anything else.

Joey has crafted a fire engine out of his box, complete with headlights, taillights, siren, flashing lights, hoses, and a ladder on the side.

A quick trip to the garage to net some twine and a razor blade followed by some cutting, and now we have to kids running around the house with their boxes.

Enjoy the photos…

jp

Joey and Jessamyn showing off their beautiful boxes















Jess does a curtsy

4 comments:

Joanne said...

LOL - Love it! Love that Jolie has started a trend... soon thousands of households across the U.S. and Canada will have boxes of all shapes and all sizes! And it started from one simple dream... LOL!!! :) I love how you write, to go along with some great pics of your cute box kids! :) Thanx for making me laugh out loud tonite - needed that smile!!!!

:) joanne. (mother of the inventor of the Ballerina Box.) ;o)~

Bubbie said...

It's amazing how we spend so much money on toys when the most creative stuff happens with....BOXES!!!! I love it...maybe we need to get Jolie's picture in here too :):):)

Tell Jess and Joey that it gave Bubbie a laugh as well.
xoxoxo
Bubbie Di

Mimi said...

GREAT idea, thanks Joanne. Great imaginative fun!

Can you tell this electronically challenged mum what Joanne's "LOL" means????

Joanne said...

Mimi - LOL = Laugh Out Loud! Jolie's video is on my blog, which Jay has listed on his fav blog sites on the left (I believe). I didn't get any pictures of her in her box, but the video is quite classic! I am a friend of Jenny's, through the March Mom's group where we first met when we first were pregnant over 5 years ago.
~joanne.